Home › Browse Forums › BARKER CABINETS › Design › 4″ and 8″ pieces of finished wood

  • 4″ and 8″ pieces of finished wood

    Posted by Annie on July 27, 2026 at 12:02 am

    I really am in the process of ordering my cabinets, but now I am a little stuck. I am going to try to make a mudroom bench (see photo), and I would like to get the thin 4″ strips that you see above the bench area and 8″ wide section with the hooks (ignore my wonky placement of hooks – I couldn’t figure out how to align them in CA) from you if possible.

    I am wondering if you have an option to buy 4″ and 8″ strips of finished, edge banded pieces that are 3/4″ thick besides doing it as a WFE or BFINISHEDTOP since it becomes really expensive to do it that way. I could do the 4″ base molding, but then because it’s 5/8″, I can’t get an 8″ wide piece in 5/8″ thick or can I? I just thought it would be nice to have the wood grain and finish match if I can. I’m not sure if I just source cherry pieces if it will match well.

    Chad replied 2 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Chad

    Administrator
    July 28, 2026 at 12:44 pm

    The 4″ strips can be ordered using our custom rail product. The top and bottom edges are finished, leaving only the ends exposed. Since the ends will be covered in your application, this should work well:

    https://www.barkercabinets.com/product-p/mrail.htm

    The rail is limited to 6″ for the height. If you need an 8″ piece, the best option would be a standard finished end panel or an appliance panel ordered in the slab plywood door style. Either option will provide the same finished result:

    https://www.barkercabinets.com/Appliance-Panel-panel-used-on-face-of-appliances-p/appliancepanel.htm

    For the crosspiece, I would use a 1.5″ thick finished end panel or similar product. This creates a clean stopping point for the 4″ wide, 3/4″ thick strips and gives the upper section more depth. It will also be much stronger for mounting coat hooks.

    • Annie

      Member
      July 29, 2026 at 5:21 pm

      Thanks!

    • Annie

      Member
      July 29, 2026 at 6:33 pm

      So I just priced out the 8″ deep 54″ TFETHICK, and it’s $674.95 (in Cherry, clearcoat)! So regardless if the TFETHICK is 6″ or 26″ deep, it’s the same base price?

      • Chad

        Administrator
        July 30, 2026 at 3:17 pm

        We really need to add a rail product that uses our 1.5” thick plywood. Since this material was only added to our inventory relatively recently, we haven’t had a request for it until now.

        The challenge is balancing the size and weight of the material with FedEx Ground oversized shipping charges. FedEx calculates these charges based on both package dimensions and weight, so we have to account for those costs when pricing certain products, especially long or heavy parts.

        Even if your order ultimately ships by freight, we still have to factor in the risk of shipping damage. If a long, heavy part is damaged in transit, the cost of manufacturing and shipping a replacement can be significant, which increases the base price of these items.

        I’m going to put together a sample using the 1.5” material and see if we can develop a rail product that makes sense after running a shipping quote with packing material done as needed. The main challenge will be determining the maximum practical width and length for a 90” millwork blank, then calculating the lowest price we can offer while still protecting against the added shipping risk. 6” might be outside that range.

        I’ll dig into this next week. I think this would be a valuable product to add and one that future customers would find useful, but it needs to fit into our existing product and pricing system properly.

  • Annie

    Guest
    July 31, 2026 at 10:12 am

    Thanks Chad. I can be your guinea pig for this! Maybe what you need to do is offer it in a smaller length than 90”? For example, I just need 54”, so even like a 60” or 72” would work. Although I don’t know if cutting it on site would require a special blade so you don’t splinter the veneer?

    I’ll hold off on ordering it – I can wait and see what you all come up with. I have time and probably won’t be installing everything until October when the cabinets are ready. Thanks for the consideration.

Reply to: Annie
I really am in the process of ordering my cabinet…
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now